Just an FYI...
While I am doing some catch up I am post dating the posts to the date they occurred...so there may be a few that are farther back than you think, that you might have missed. I have to do it this way so I keep the events in order. Thanks!

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Ogden Pioneer Days Rodeo


We are loving our new house, and are...........adjusting to our new neighborhood. We fit in so well demographically in our last neighborhood, and are sort of the demographic anomaly of our new neighborhood. That's not to say that we don't like it and won't make friends, I'm just saying that it's a change and will take some adjusting. It's not everywhere that the people down the street sell fresh eggs out of their home for $1.50 a dozen. You just stop by and tell them you want to buy some eggs. We're not exactly like the chicken raisin', egg sellin' people that live around here, but what's not to like about fresh eggs?! We think that it's awesome! I even passed two goats and saw a bat on my run the other night. That's much better than having to hit cars because they were driving too close.

Since we've moved 7 times in the 4 years that we've been married, we're used to meeting new people and making new friends. The other night we decided to dive right in to the local scene and go to the Ogden Pioneer Days Rodeo. We had a blast! Kallie got to stay up really late, and eat lots of sweets. Rachel and I actually do really enjoy watching the rodeo. Those cowfolk are pretty talented. Whenever I go to the rodeo, I have to keep my attitude and mouth in check though, so as not to get hog-tied and drug behind a horse or pickup truck. It's all I can do to not make some comment about "ignorant rednecks" when the rodeo clown makes a propaganda driven joke about President Obama and the entire arena erupts in laughter. Chip on my shoulder aside, even I enjoy the rodeo. Especially when one of the steers works it's way through the fence around the arena and breaks it's way through to the crowd while it still has it's flank strap on. At first it looked like it was just stuck in the fence, but then after a few hard bucks, it was through, running through the crowd towards the concessions. The crowd scattered, and fortunately nobody was hurt. One of the cowboys quickly rode his horse after the steer, lasso in hand, and had the situation under control moments later. Lucky for all those in attendance, it wasn't a full grown bull! For those of you who may not be familiar, and I'm no walking rodeo dictionary, but from what I know, steers are simply bulls minus a couple man parts, and the steers they ride in rodeos aren't full grown and are generally riden by youth.

Anyway, enjoy the pics:


Kallie's favorite part were the parachuters at the beginning.

Kallie studying the little fan/Fat Cats advertisement they gave out. At one point she had three different ones in her hands, waiving them around.


Kallie is becoming aware that there are faces attached to the different emotions, and she's starting to be able to perform them on command. On the top you see "Happy Face", which is always shortly followed by "Mad Face", which is what you see on the bottom.


I don't know if Kallie enjoyed the taste of the cotton candy more, or playing with it on her tongue as it dissolved.

Like I mentioned earlier, Kallie had her fair share of treats. Cotton candy wasn't enough, she had to have some of her Dad's ice cream too.

They had some motocross dudes come out and do some tricks at the end. This is all one backflip by one guy. I took the 9 different pictures and then stitched them together in Photoshop so that you can see each consecutive step of the backflip in one image.

8 comments:

TheTerry's said...

wow, i guess i didn't picture you guys being so rural. but good for you for jumping in with both feet. i certainly wouldn't complain about fresh eggs, a little rodeo action, and occasional bat sightings. congrats again on the house! by the way, how old is kallie? i can't remember...

Our Blog said...

beautiful pictures. thank you again for taking such good care of me, AND my hair. :)

Ginny said...

love that last shot(s). well done!

Taylor said...

are you just now realizing that you live in Utah? It's way hick country. Embrace it. And you're right about watching your mouth, those cow folk will give you a good lickin'.

Unknown said...

What a great post! I feel well updated about your family.! Just about to send you an email...

Christine said...

I really love that last picture of all the backflips. But as awesome as it is, that dude just isn't as cute as your family. That li'l Miss Kallie just cracks me up! I'm glad you guys are enjoying your new place so much. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Now you're livin' in my kind of neighborhood! Yee Haw! Looks like a fun time at the fair...

Linda Horsley said...

Congrats on your new house! You guys are so cute. It is fun to catch up what you have been up to.