Just an FYI...
While I am doing some catch up I am post dating the posts to the date they occurred...so there may be a few that are farther back than you think, that you might have missed. I have to do it this way so I keep the events in order. Thanks!

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Oh the Places You'll Go...if you're crazy

Our little family just returned from our first road trip together! It was an adventure of many different kinds. I think I know what the true catalyst for the invention of the plane was; the Wright Bros. went on one too many road trips with the Henry Ford family. Joking aside, it was a very enjoyable trip. We went down to Southern Utah, stayed with my Aunt in Cedar City (she was so good to us!) and saw some of the sights to see in that region. We'll do a general post about our trip soon, but I wanted to post about an adventure I had that I've been anticipating for years. I was finally able to hike Angels Landing in Zion's National Park. I've been to Zion's a couple times, and always wanted to do this hike, but the opportunity never presented itself because of time constraints. So when we planned this trip, nothing was going to stop me. You can ask Rachel, I was as giddy as a little school boy. A bad cold virus tried it's best to thwart me from my dream, but I prevailed. Gather round children, whilst I tell you the tale of my traverse: I woke up early Monday morning and left Rachel and Kallie at my Aunt's. I didn't feel comfortable bringing a 3 month old on this hike, and you'll see why. I got to the park, paid my admission, drove around lost for about 30 minutes (didn't mind that actually since I was in Zion's National Park) finally found the trailhead, and started on my way. When you start the hike, you're greeted with this wonderful warning:Basically, "If you would like to die hiking, this is the most likely place to do it." It's a lovely beginning to the hike. You overlook the Virgin River and several majestic mountainscapes. The sun was just revealing itself over the mountains, which made for a great beginning.At this point, you start your ascent up the mountain with this scene looming in front of you."How am I supposed to get to the top?" you ask yourself. That question is quickly answered with your first set of switchbacks, which I tackled with an iron will.My will quickly turned to Jell-O, along with my calves, after getting to the top of these switchbacks and realizing I had done absolutely NO physical activity for the past two weeks because of sickness. I was now about 1/5 of the way up the trail, halfway through my water supply, and privately humiliated. "Onward and upward" I told myself. The next part of the trail is quite nice. It's called refrigerator canyon. You cruise through a flat part of the hike that's several degrees cooler than the rest because you're out of the sun. It's a nice way to recoup before the Wiggles. No, I'm not speaking of those 4 very odd, somewhat Australian children's musicians. I'm speaking of Walter's Wiggles. "Aptly named" I thought as I looked back at this lovely set of switchbacks.Gratefully after the Wiggles you get to Scout Lookout, a very nice place to rest before the best part of the hike. I'll try not to bore you with words, but illustrate with pictures. From Scout Lookout you can see the top of Angel's Landing. The view looks something like this:Don't worry, the park posts signs to encourage you that it's perfectly safe.It's really too bad my iron will was left at that first set of switchbacks, because I really could have used it here. This part of the hike is quite technical, and mentally challenging, especially if you're acrophobic (that's afraid of heights, not spiders). You hike along this ridge which has a 1700 foot drop off of each side that looks like this:They've bolted chains to hold onto and carved footholds to make it a little easier. It's really a lot of fun. Very different from any other hike I've done. And for your final reward when you get to the top, there are park natives to greet you.And not to mention, an amazing view of the entire park.I'm sure the fastest way back down is base jumping of the edge, but it was such a pretty hike that I decided to follow the trail back down. This was my favorite hike I've ever done, and it will take something pretty spectacular to top it. I know that I sound dramatic, and some of you who have hiked Angel's Landing before might think I'm a little over the top. Let me assure you, I'm really just a wus who likes to push himself farther than he should, and ends up really sore in the end.

13 comments:

Andrea said...

it is good to know that someone else besides me didn't think that hike was a walk in the park. I huffed up those dang walters wiggles. hiked and sat. hiked and sat. Thank goodness for Sherpa Campbell who pushed me to the top...It is BEAUTIFUL up there isn't it? I am however more scared now of the hike then i was when i did it. I'm not so sure i could ever do i again. I think the climb down is FAR more scary than the climb up.

Kelli said...

you should be a writer - i was clenching my jaw the whole time i was reading! ;-) no, seriously, your wit is fantastic. sounds like so much fun. i love southern utah. i am surpirsed you didn't stay at grandma mary alice's house - always a real treat. just ask rachel...

Tami said...

I'm reading this and the whole time I'm thinking that I can't believe that Andrea did this! She really down-played the whole event I think. That hike looks killer and I think I really might have to turn around when it came to those cliffs. I can't even look at the picture.
Glad you got to fulfill this dream, and I'm glad you didn't take Kallie with you. :)

Ginny said...

okay, now i wanna go! great pictures with a great story too!!

Demarcus Family said...

I wish we weren't in San Diego that week and could have seen you guys! That is a great hike, have you hiked all of the Narrows? That is such a beautiful hike.
once again your post cracks me up!

James and Summer said...

wow! way to go Bry! great accomplishment - great narrative. You've inspired us to uh... go walking in the morning. ha! jk. No - we are now inspired to complete such beautiful hikes as that of Angels Landing - Beautiful photos! PS How did you get that chipmunk to eat out of your hand?

RaeRae said...

wow so awesome. It is beautiful. I get winded just reading about it... oh the days when I could walk up a flight of stairs or swim a lap of the pool and not get winded... four more weeks to go.

Jen and Alec said...

We love Angel's Landing! In fact, we did it with some friends last summer and I saw a couple with a baby backpack at the top! I was so nervous for them that I almost threw up. It's hard enough finding your own center of gravity when climbing some of those chains!

jrnelson said...

Amazing, way to go! The view is gorgeous!!

Lund Family said...

Hi Bryan! It was so great to see your post on our blog. You have an adorable family. Glad to see that you are so happy! Dre (Downs) Lund

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like quite the adventure! Funny how I live in southern Utah and still have yet to hike Angel's Landing, and the Narrows, and the Subway.....
I think you get the idea, I am practically green with evny!

Steve and Katie said...

You are a crack up. Honestly, I don't have the guts to take the hike - mostly cuz I know how terribly out of shape I am! Steve and his brother did it a few years ago for the 4th of July. He was really sore too - I think that can be expected of most people who hike that! I love Zions too though. We are planning a trip to hike the Narrows in August. So excited.....

Megan said...

Bryan I totally agree with you. I did this hike probably 12 or more years ago. I love to hike and do it often but I have never found anything that beats angels landing. I want to go again with my husband someday but he has a minor fear of heights and I am not sure he will be able to do it!!!