Just an FYI...
While I am doing some catch up I am post dating the posts to the date they occurred...so there may be a few that are farther back than you think, that you might have missed. I have to do it this way so I keep the events in order. Thanks!

Friday, May 16, 2008

Biking to Work


Since my daily commute to work in SLC was costing us a pretty penny,
I decided to try an alternative. We recently had a commuter rail open up that connects SLC to Ogden, plus a little farther North, but honestly, who goes to Pleasant View? I found out that I get a free pass through the University and started formulating my plan. (By the way, it's not really a free pass, it's actually a very expensive pass. It cost me about $1800 in tuition.) Then I remembered about good ol' George Dubya's economic stimulus/government bankruptcy plan. This was the final piece of the puzzle. We went to our local bike store, stimulated the economy, and purchased a new bike. I now ride the train to Salt Lake, then bike the 5 miles to work. It's a really nice way to start my day, it really gets my heart going. Especially when I almost get hit by cars driven by my non-fellow citizens from foreign countries. I've only been doing this for about seven days now, and I've almost been creamed four times. A pretty good track record if you ask me. Then again, it's not much different from my daily commute in my car!
(This is my new bike. Isn't it pretty?)

Although, not all accidents are the fault of illegal immigrants. I owe thanks for this one to the clipless pedals I was trying for the first time. For those of you who may not be familiar, clipless pedals have shoes with metal clips on the bottom that snap into the pedal, locking you into place. You can't just take your foot off, you have to kind of twist it out or else you go down with the bike. You can ask any clipless pedal user, and they'll tell you that their knees looked like ground beef for the first couple of weeks of use, just like mine do.
PS: Not for the faint of heart. This was taken AFTER I had ruined my handkerchief by cleaning it off.


10 comments:

Andrea said...

okay so i am proud of you for using the train and saving money and bla blabla...can you please NOT get hit by a car or continue to fall off and make your knees look like um ...GROSS....thanks!

Super B said...

OUCH! I am proud of you though! I save money by doing cloth diapers. I don't get banged up doing cloth diapers though. I guess we all have to save money in our own ways.
Like I said, I am really looking forward to seeing you and to meeting Rachel and Kallie.
love your favorite cousin!

Demarcus Family said...

I just wanted to say "YOU ROCK!" not for biking to work ( although that IS awesome) I think you rock because you actually post on the blog. I don't think I could do anything for Dave to get him to do that.. I mean NOTHING! LOL
I really think you are a crack up!Keep them coming!
Trish

Jen said...

One word... OUCH!

Ginny said...

YIKES! And you got back on the next day?? Or did this one happen on day seven? I am impressed and hope your FrontRunner experience is better than ours was on the "free for all and their huge Utah families" day!

jrnelson said...

Wow, you're awesome! I have to say I LOVE the stache, I think you should keep it for the whole year and see if it will get any thicker. :) I'm sure Rachel loves the facial hair as well. And as for Becca's comment on being your favorite cousin we all know that's not true, maybe the crazy, long winded cousin, but I am definetly the favorite cousin!!

Anonymous said...

That is an ouch. My son Jared just got a motorcycle and that scares me even more. I am sorry you got hurt. You sure have a cute daughter though. Love you guys.

Linda Horsley said...

Wow! Way to go...you are saving money and getting into shape. Who could ask for more...I guess you could ask for less scraped knees. Good to see you guys are doing good!

Sue said...

Little novice bikers wear knee pads! Maybe you should consider them. Killer!

Textura Photography said...

Bryan whats up? This is Trevor Taylor by the way. Your knee looks pretty gross. I would second the comment on knee pads, and of course a helmet haha. Congratulations on the addition to your family.